[darcs-devel] [darcs #207] Improve the commands infrastructure

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Mon Feb 7 05:52:51 PST 2005

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 11:03:07AM -0500, Juliusz Chroboczek via RT wrote:

> Sun Feb 06 11:03:04 2005: New ticket: 207.
> Transaction: Ticket created by jch
>        Queue: Darcs
>      Subject: Improve the commands infrastructure
>        Owner: Nobody
>   Requestors: jch at pps.jussieu.fr
>  Ticket <URL: http://bugs.darcs.net/.//Ticket/Display.html?id=207 >
>
> The command infrastructure (DarcsArguments.lhs) needs a few extra
> features.  We've identified:
>
>  - aliases (darcs remove and darcs rm);
>  - subcommands (darcs query file-contents).

I'm confirming this bug with respect to the subcommands part.  Like Mark, I
have reservations regarding the possibilities of aliases.  In the case or
remove vs rm, I sort of wish I had gone with rm instead of remove in the
first place, but if DOS people start asking for a del alias for remove, I
think that's going a bit far.

On the other hand, having the *infrastructure* for aliases does sound like
a good idea, since it should allow us to keep the current commands for
backwards-compatibility while moving functionality around.  For example,
I'd like to have a query subcommand to view the contents of a patch, such
as query patch-summary -p foo, perhaps, which would be the same as the
current annotate -s -p foo.  Ideally, we could somehow share code between
the two, and enforce an identical interface.  Perhaps a better example
would be changes, which could potentially be moved wholesale into query.

So I guess I'm confirming both infrastructure improvements.
http://www.darcs.net