[darcs-devel] Re: darcs patch: fix get over sftp using the putty sftp c... (and 1 more)

Benedikt Schmidt ry102 at rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Feb 19 12:10:24 PST 2005

Dave Roberts <ldave at droberts.com> writes:

> On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 05:11 -0500, Benedikt Schmidt wrote:
>> Sat Feb 19 10:54:13 CET 2005  Benedikt Schmidt <beschmi at cloaked.de>
>>   * fix get over sftp using the putty sftp client
>>   psftp doesn't change to the directory given on the commandline as
>>   user at host:dir. Change url given as arg to user at host: and add a
>>   cd dir command to the batchfile.
>
>> I've tested the first patch on unix with the openssh and the putty
>> sftp client.
>
> Ha! I was suffering through this incompatibility yesterday and started
> writing something up last night to suggest the exact same thing. I just
> finished it about 5 minutes ago and sent it to this list. Right after
> that, I sat down and started going through email and found this.
>
> Thanks! That's great service, implementing fixes ahead of time. ;-)

I just implemented it after you pinned down the problem on #darcs
yesterday. ;) It's nice that debian has a putty-tools package for
testing these things on linux.

> I would point out one other thing. While most of the first message you
> will see is now obsolete with this change, I think there is still a need
> to implement the second suggestion in that message: a --debug switch or
> something like it that prints out all sorts of diagnostic information,
> including which subprograms are being invoked and all the command line
> parameters used to do so. My sleuthing last night would have been a lot
> easier had such a switch existed.

I have used some wrapper scripts that save "$@" to a file and copy the
file with the batch commands (using DARCS_SFTP). But printing the invoked
commands would be nice. I'm not sure if 3 verbosity levels (quiet,
standard and verbose) aren't enough and verbose should just print some
more info.

Benedikt