[darcs-devel] Re: darcs patch: fix get over sftp using the putty sftp c... (and 1 more)

Dave Roberts ldave at droberts.com
Sat Feb 19 13:56:07 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 21:10 +0100, Benedikt Schmidt wrote:

> I just implemented it after you pinned down the problem on #darcs
> yesterday. ;) It's nice that debian has a putty-tools package for
> testing these things on linux.

Ah, excellent. It turns out my earlier mail seems to have bounced back.
Evidentally, the list manager thinks its spam or something. Too long of
a mail, perhaps? It replied and said part of my mail was "unprocessed"
while the other part was "ignored." Either way, I felt a little
slighted. ;-)

> > I would point out one other thing. While most of the first message you
> > will see is now obsolete with this change, I think there is still a need
> > to implement the second suggestion in that message: a --debug switch or
> > something like it that prints out all sorts of diagnostic information,
> > including which subprograms are being invoked and all the command line
> > parameters used to do so. My sleuthing last night would have been a lot
> > easier had such a switch existed.
>
> I have used some wrapper scripts that save "$@" to a file and copy the
> file with the batch commands (using DARCS_SFTP). But printing the invoked
> commands would be nice. I'm not sure if 3 verbosity levels (quiet,
> standard and verbose) aren't enough and verbose should just print some
> more info.

So I actually had some commentary on this in the rejected email. You
could do it using verbosity, but I tend to keep separation between "more
user information" and "debug information." To me, more user information
can help when things are moving along, but perhaps slowly. Print out
some additional "I'm working on such and such" type of messages, for
instance. Debug messages tend to give you all the gory details, which
you may not want in a simple verbose level. That said, either way. I
just found that it was hard to debug without knowing what external
programs darcs was calling, or trying to call.

--
Dave Roberts <ldave at droberts.com>