[darcs-devel] [darcs #225] Add new put command complementary to get.

David Roundy via RT bugs at darcs.net
Tue Feb 22 05:10:18 PST 2005

Tue Feb 22 08:10:15 2005: New ticket: 225.
Transaction: Ticket created by droundy
       Queue: Darcs
     Subject: Add new put command complementary to get.
       Owner: Nobody
  Requestors: droundy at abridgegame.org
 Ticket <URL: http://bugs.darcs.net/.//Ticket/Display.html?id=225 >

Thanks, everyone, for your input!

Okay, it seems pretty clear to me that put is a winner.  Clone is
definitely appealing to many people (as it is to me, also), but many people
find the two-argument clone less intuitive than get/put, which makes sense
to me.  And the "clone" people (and no, I'm not talking about the next Star
Wars prequel...) seem to not have (on the whole) a strong aversion to put.

So put it is.

We can always add clone, if we decide it would be an improvement, but I
think I agree with the arguments that getting rid of "get" would be a
mistake, which eliminates a lot of the appeal of "clone".

I'm actually surprised by the unanimity in favor of put.  I don't think
I've seen such agreement on a darcs interface change since I was convinced
to split the old push command into separate push and send commands.  I
wonder how many people are still around who can remember that debate?  I
think that was when I learned to trust the darcs users--if they can agree
on something, they're probably right, even if I disagree! :)

At the moment, I'm still hoping to focus my efforts on the new conflictor
code, so I won't be working on this myself for a while.  If someone else
wants to take a shot at it, go ahead.  I'm filing this as a confirmed
wishlist bug, so just make sure to report there that you're working on it.
http://www.darcs.net