[darcs-devel] Re: [darcs #229] Bug when pulling from http://cryp.to/funcmp/ (1/2)

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Fri Feb 25 04:18:37 PST 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 12:43:14PM -0500, Nils Anders Danielsson via RT wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, "David Roundy via RT" <bugs at darcs.net> wrote:
>
> > I'm not able to reproduce this bug.  I see that you're running darcs
> > 1.0.2.
> >
> > Are you really able to reproduce the bug from scratch using darcs 1.0.2?
>
> On a Solaris system: Yes.
>
> On a Linux system: No.

Argh!!! :( I'm ccing the darcs-devel list in the hope that perhaps one of
the darcs developers who has access to a solaris machine may be able to
help track this down.

> I also tried compiling a Solaris binary myself. Then I (repeatedly)
> got the following behaviour:
>
>   $ ./darcs get http://cryp.to/funcmp
>
>       <Snipped message.>
>
>   Copying patch 22 of 22... done!
>   Applying patches to the "working" directory...
>   .Segmentation Fault

Can you rerun this with the --verbose flag to get? That would give us some
idea which patch is causing the problem.

Also, are there any other differences between the solaris and linux
systems? Most notably, I'm wondering if you might be running the solaris
system on nfs, since nfs tends to give "interesting" non-posix behavior,
which can interact with mmap in unusual ways.

It might also help to try running with the solaris equivalent of strace,
which someone mentioned on the -devel list, but I've forgotten what it is
called.

> However, then I configured using --disable-optimize --disable-mmap,
> after which the program worked. (I added a note to the Wiki.)
>
> Configuring using only --disable-mmap didn't help. Using only
> --disable-optimize resulted in the previously reported behaviour
> instead of the above one.

Hmmm.  This is disturbing.  It suggests... some sort of a lazy interaction
perhaps?  Not good. :(

Did you also try the other possibility, using only --disable-optimize? (Not
that I expect it'll give different behavior, but it seems best to cover all
bases, since this is a weird bug.)
http://www.darcs.net