[darcs-devel] [darcs #231] record should report any non-existent files given as arguments

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sat Feb 26 06:08:23 PST 2005

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 10:46:56PM -0500, Mark Stosberg via RT wrote:
> Here's a screenshot of the situation I think should be improved:
>
>  $ darcs record non-existent.txt
>  Recording changes in "non-existent.txt":
>
>  Ok, if you don't want to record anything, that's fine!
>
> ###
>
> The diagnostic message is says I don't want to record anything, which is
> the case. I /do/ want to record something, I'm just confused about where
> I am.  The diagnostic message shouldn't assume my intention.
>
> I would prefer that it said:
>
>  $ darcs record non-existent.txt
>
>  non-existent.txt: File not found.

Hmmmm.  The solution is a tad more complicated.

We need to separate the file arguments according to their existence (since
some might exist while others don't).  Then we should print error messages
for those that don't exist, and look for changes in the files that do
exist.  If there are no changes in the selected files, we should exit with
"No changes in selected files or directories." rather than the "Ok, if you
don't want to record anything, that's fine!" message (which itself could be
modified to be a bit more polite.

This is a bit more than I have time for at the moment, so I'll upgrade this
to confirmed wishlist, and hope someone else fixes this up.  If not, I'll
get back to this eventually.
http://www.darcs.net