[darcs-devel] Why is darcs get so slow?

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 07:45:00 PST 2005

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 03:19:57PM +0100, Erik B?gfors wrote:
> Maybe I'm totally off here, but....
>
> If I do a get --partial linux, shouldn't a VERY simple way to deal
> with that being to
> 1) Copy all patches over since the checkpoint
> 2) Copy _darcs/current to the new _darcs/current
> 3) Copy _darcs/current to the working directory.
>
> Why apply patches at all?

This won't work if you want to get the repository up to a certain tag.
I think we should not make darcs behave against its patch based pholosophy in
dozens of special cases, but rather try to improve the efficiency in general.
Special cases can (and mostly do) make the program needlessly complex and more
buggy.

> Happy new year!

Thanks, and Happy new year to you too!
Tomasz