[darcs-devel] [darcs #168] persistent user's files in _darcs

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sun Jan 9 05:37:09 PST 2005

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 06:29:17AM -0500,  via RT wrote:
> I'm doing a wrapper script for darcs and I need a place to store
> per-repository info. right now I'm using .dotfiles in the root of the
> repository, but I think a cleaner way would be to add those files to
> _darcs/prefs or _darcs/meta directory which should be retrieved by
> "darcs get"

I'm not sure I like this idea.  I can see that it would be nice to avoid
the ugliness of placing yet another set of files or directories in the
users' working directories, but allowing version-controlled files in
_darcs/prefs (or _darcs/meta, which seems like a better idea) means that
the users can be stuck having conflicts that aren't in the working
directory, which doesn't seem like an improvement.  :(

On the technical side, this would mean another directory that needs to have
both an "unrecorded" (i.e. "current") and working directory version, which
would be a bit of a pain.
http://www.darcs.net