[darcs-devel] [darcs #174] The posibility to issue a "get" in an existing folder/directory

via RT bugs at darcs.net
Thu Jan 13 15:47:25 PST 2005

Thu Jan 13 18:47:24 2005: New ticket: 174.
Transaction: Ticket created by guest
       Queue: Darcs
     Subject: The posibility to issue a "get" in an existing folder/directory
       Owner: Nobody
  Requestors: madiuq at gmail.com
 Ticket <URL: http://bugs.darcs.net/.//Ticket/Display.html?id=174 >

Today I tried:

> [gmlk at alicia:~/src/darcs](1): darcs get http://www.abridgegame.org/repos/darcs .

which resulted in:

> darcs failed:  Directory or file named '.' already exists.

----

The general syntax is: darcs get url [directory]

I noticed that if "directory" already exists, and is not '.', darcs will create a "directory_0", this
is not what I expected and makes darcs less then useful for me.

My preference would be that darcs would check in directory to see if a "_darcs" directory is
already pressent, if true it should fail. If there is no "_darcs" directory present, it should
proceed and use the folder; maybe asking for permission before proceeding to overwrite the
existing files.

Maybe (I'm not sure if this should be done) it would be prudent to also scan upward to see if
this directory isn't part of an repository already (that is that it is really added to some higher
repository)  and if true fail in this case as well. If no repository contains this directory one
may assume it will be save to use it. (One reason not to do this upward scan, is because no
damage can be done anyway and who knows why someone would want to do this one day...)