[darcs-devel] [darcs #190] some kind of failure and possible corruption

zooko at zooko.com via RT bugs at darcs.net
Tue Jan 25 07:54:47 PST 2005

Tue Jan 25 10:54:45 2005: New ticket: 190.
Transaction: Ticket created by zooko at zooko.com
       Queue: Darcs
     Subject: some kind of failure and possible corruption
       Owner: Nobody
  Requestors: zooko at zooko.com
 Ticket <URL: http://bugs.darcs.net/.//Ticket/Display.html?id=190 >

I pulled from one repo to another.  The mostly have an identical set of
patches, but there were a half-a-dozen new patches to pull in.

It hit some kind of error, printed out the entire contents of the new
patches, I think, thus scrolling any error text out of my buffer.  Then
it said:

WARNING: You may now have a corrupt (but fixable) repository.
If you aren't a darcs guru, ask about this on
darcs-users at abridgegame.org.
Please report this to bugs at darcs.net
HACK yumyum:~/playground/shtoom/darcsworld$
HACK yumyum:~/playground/shtoom/darcsworld$ time darcs check
The repo is consistent!

real    0m11.547s
user    0m8.992s
sys     0m0.716s

The contents of both repos *after* this event are here:

https://yumyum.zooko.com:19144/pub/bug.tar.bz2

I pulled from the "mergeworld" repo into the "darcsworld" repo with
"pull -a -v ../mergeworld".

Regards,

Zooko

Here is my exact-version:

darcs compiled on Jan 20 2005, at 12:07:49
# configured Thu Jan 20 12:00:06 AST 2005
sh ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/stow/darcs

Context:

[Allow ncurses in addition to curses
sreindl at triobit.de**20050110052431]

[clean up check_a_patch.
David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org>**20050110134842]

[clean up merge_three_patches test script.
David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org>**20050109141321]

[fix bug in merger commutation and add test case illustrating problem.
David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org>**20050108153759]

[revert nice error message on patch parsing.
David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org>**20041229153258
  The problem was that darcs tries parsing patch bundles different ways
  see whether it's been mime-encoded or not, and failing with errorDoc
rather
  than by returning Nothing breaks that.  If we want nicer messages for
parse
  errors, we should switch from Maybe (Patch, PackedString) to Either Doc
  (Patch, PackedString).
]

[add configure option to fix path to sendmail even if it's not present.
David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org>**20041229151244]

[Add RSS feed of latest repo changes to darcs.net homepage.
Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com>**20041229004651

  A temporary preview of this is here:
  http://mark.stosberg.com/Tech/darcs/front.html

  David suggested it would be desirable to also have the author's
  named displayed. That appears to be possible because that information
  is in the feed in an <author> tag. However, I don't have the patience
  to make that work tonight. If someone else wants to, feel free.

]

[avoid duplicated code in commute and commute_no_merger.
David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org>**20041222142807]

[Reorganize breakup of Patch to avoid circular dependencies.
David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org>**20041221141512]

[resolve conflict with whitespace change.
David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org>**20041221130035]

[Rejig patch headings so documentation makes some sense again
Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li>**20041217174449]

[Merge changes
Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li>**20041217165950]

[Split Patch up more. Unfortunately needs a .hi-boot file.
Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li>**20041211024030]

[provide better stripCr implementation
Will <will at glozer.net>**20041219031418]

[add konquerer workaround to cgi annotate
Will <will at glozer.net>**20041219024435]

[remove trailing whitespace
simons at cryp.to**20041218004144]

[don't import type 'Patch' twice
simons at cryp.to**20041218004106]

[remove duplicate imports (error in ghc-6.3)
simons at cryp.to**20041218002402]

[avoid conflicts by importing only 'bug' from DarcsUtils
simons at cryp.to**20041218002301]

[Fix manual to state 'darcs get' has --tag, not --tag-name
zander at kde.org**20041217153547]

[strip trailing CR in pref files
Will <will at glozer.net>**20041216073907]

[fix typo in mingw reference
Lode Leroy <lode_leroy at hotmail.com>**20041202131840]

[typo fix
Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com>**20041215023027]

[removing Amending patches from basic documentation
Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com>**20041106030942

  I really like this clear description of what Amend record is actually
doing.
  I've submitted a patch to the stable repo to merge some of the wording
here
  into the (currently sparse) docs for admend-record.

  Amend-record is a more advanced, dangerous command which doesn't
belong in a
  "Basics" section, so I removed it here.
]

[improve documentation clarity
Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com>**20041106030733]

[improve formatting of 'working' and 'current'
Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com>**20041106030657]

[documentation, basics on creating patches
Tommy Pettersson <ptp at lysator.liu.se>**20041103111151]

[update webpage to say 1.0.1 is latest stable source now.
David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org>**20041214134854]

[bash completion made more robust regarding shell special chars
Guillaume Outters <guillaume.outters at free.fr>**20041228231448
  IFS set to CR, for correct spliting of darcs --list-option entries
containing spaces.
  We escape all special characters using printf %q, so that the shell
passes us our parameters back as we want them.
]

[disallow accidently pushing to the current repo
Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com>**20041219172359]

[Test for pulling from current repo before setting it as the default
Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com>**20041219171533]

[Some more tests for push.
Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com>**20041219163241]

[use fail when possible for errors.
David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org>**20041218153234]

[address #114 - provide a better error when you accidently try to pull
from yourself
Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com>**20041218025451

  This was my first real experiment with Haskell, so someone who knows
better
  will probably want to rewrite it. :)

  Also, this only addresses the 'pull' case. It may be better put this
logic in a
  shared routine, so it be used by 'push' and elsewhere.
]

[fix bug that left junk equal to identity patch in pending.
David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org>**20041215134337]

[TAG 1.0.1
David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org>**20041214131758]