[darcs-devel] [darcs #197] Makefile issues

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Sun Jan 30 13:53:45 PST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-30 16:34:45 -0500, David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org>
wrote in message <20050130213441.GC28382 at abridgegame.org>:
> On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 03:50:22PM -0500, Juliusz Chroboczek via RT wrote:
> > I think there's something wrong with the dependencies in the makefile.
> > First, doing
> >
> >   $ make clean; make
> >   $ make
> >
> > relinks darcs in the second make.  A nasty side effect is that if you do
> >
> >   $ make clean; make
> >   $ sudo make install
> >
> > you end up with a darcs binary that's owned by root.
>
> Argh.  That's not good.  I'll see if I can fix this, but Makefile hacking
> is not my area of expertise, so it's worth someone else taking a look at
> too.  I'll know in a half-hour or so whether I can reproduce this.

Additional to that, it seems some dependancies(sp?) aren't yet correct.
If I build darcs on a SMP system (make -j2), it sometimes doesn't like
because of eg:

jbglaw at d2:~/darcs/darcs-unstable$ make -j2
[...]
ghc  -cpp  -package unix -package parsec -O -funbox-strict-fields  -Wall -Werror -package util -I. -DHAVE_CURSES -DHAVE_CURL -c DateMatcher.lhs
PATH=".:$PATH" darcs changes --context | cat config.command - | ./stringify context_string > c_context.c
ghc  -cpp  -package unix -package parsec -O -funbox-strict-fields  -Wall -Werror -package util -I. -DHAVE_CURSES -DHAVE_CURL -c Printer.lhs
ghc  -cpp  -package unix -package parsec -O -funbox-strict-fields  -Wall -Werror -package util -I. -DHAVE_CURSES -DHAVE_CURL -no-auto-all -c SHA1.lhs
ghc  -cpp  -package unix -package parsec -O -funbox-strict-fields  -Wall -Werror -package util -I. -DHAVE_CURSES -DHAVE_CURL -c FileName.lhs
ghc  -cpp  -package unix -package parsec -O -funbox-strict-fields  -Wall -Werror -package util -I. -DHAVE_CURSES -DHAVE_CURL -c Lcs.lhs
ghc  -cpp  -package unix -package parsec -O -funbox-strict-fields  -Wall -Werror -package util -I. -DHAVE_CURSES -DHAVE_CURL -c PatchReadMonads.hs
ghc  -cpp  -package unix -package parsec -O -funbox-strict-fields  -Wall -Werror -package util -I. -DHAVE_CURSES -DHAVE_CURL -c PatchCheck.lhs
ghc  -optc-O2 -c c_context.c
rm -f Main.hi Main.o
ghc -cpp  -package unix -package parsec -O -funbox-strict-fields  -Wall -Werror -package util -I. -DHAVE_CURSES -DHAVE_CURL -optl-L/usr/lib -optl-lcurl -optl-lidn -optl-lssl -optl-lcrypto -optl-ldl -optl-lssl -optl-lcrypto -optl-ldl -optl-lz -optl-lcurses -optl-lpthread -o darcs-createrepo darcs-createrepo.lhs DarcsUtils.lhs Workaround.hs Autoconf.o Printer.o FastPackedString.o fpstring.o rts.o

darcs-createrepo.lhs:24:
    Failed to load interface for `DarcsUtils':
        Could not find interface file for `DarcsUtils'
        (use -v to see a list of the files searched for)

darcs-createrepo.lhs:24:
    Module `DarcsUtils' does not export `askUser'
make: *** [darcs-createrepo] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

Calling make again will probably result in the build continuing:

jbglaw at d2:~/darcs/darcs-unstable$ make -j2
ghc  -cpp  -package unix -package parsec -O -funbox-strict-fields  -Wall -Werror -package util -I. -DHAVE_CURSES -DHAVE_CURL -c DarcsUtils.lhs
ghc  -cpp  -package unix -package parsec -O -funbox-strict-fields  -Wall -Werror -package util -I. -DHAVE_CURSES -DHAVE_CURL -c PatchInfo.lhs
ghc  -cpp  -package unix -package parsec -O -funbox-strict-fields  -Wall -Werror -package util -I. -DHAVE_CURSES -DHAVE_CURL -c Email.hs
rm -f Main.hi Main.o
ghc -cpp  -package unix -package parsec -O -funbox-strict-fields  -Wall -Werror -package util -I. -DHAVE_CURSES -DHAVE_CURL -optl-L/usr/lib -optl-lcurl -optl-lidn -optl-lssl -optl-lcrypto -optl-ldl -optl-lssl -optl-lcrypto -optl-ldl -optl-lz -optl-lcurses -optl-lpthread -o darcs-createrepo darcs-createrepo.lhs DarcsUtils.lhs Workaround.hs Autoconf.o Printer.o FastPackedString.o fpstring.o rts.o
compilation IS NOT required
compilation IS NOT required
ghc  -cpp  -package unix -package parsec -O -funbox-strict-fields  -Wall -Werror -package util -I. -DHAVE_CURSES -DHAVE_CURL -c DarcsURL.hs
ghc  -cpp  -package unix -package parsec -O -funbox-strict-fields  -Wall -Werror -package util -I. -DHAVE_CURSES -DHAVE_CURL -c Lock.lhs
ghc  -cpp  -package unix -package parsec -O -funbox-strict-fields  -Wall -Werror -package util -I. -DHAVE_CURSES -DHAVE_CURL -c PopulationData.lhs

So it seems there's a dependancy list missing for "darcs-createrepo".

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw at lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O