[darcs-devel] vc-darcs.el efficiency issues [was: GNU Emacs...]

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Sun Jul 3 13:07:08 PDT 2005

>> Whenever you open a file foo using vc-darcs, it will do
>>
>>     darcs whatsnew foo
>>
>> This turns out to be too slow in practice on very large repos.

> Do you mean "very large files"?

The OP spoke about very large repos.  Ian, do we stat the whole repo
when doing whatsnew with a file argument?

(By the way, we really ought to add mtime handling to SlurpDirectory
nodes in order to avoid recursing over unmodified subtrees.  This is
implementable efficiently for both backends.)

> Using hashes will only help if the contents of foo and
> _darcs/current/foo are identical but the mtimes are different, right?

Yes, that's what the OP reported.

> What I meant was, how is that happening?

No idea.

                                        Juliusz