[darcs-devel] darcs patch: changed ***DARCS*** to ***END OF DESCRIPTION***

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Sun Jul 31 11:47:36 PDT 2005

On Jul 31, 2005, at 11:13 AM, Erik Schnetter wrote:

> On Sunday 31 July 2005 20:00, Jason Dagit wrote:
>
>> -                            $$ text "Everything in this file from
>> the above ***DARCS*** line on will be ignored." +
>>        $$ text ("Everything in this file from the above "++eod++"
>> line on will be ignored.")
>>

> It turns out that this message is very easy to misread.  If you
> miss the
> "from the" part, you think that everything above the ***DARCS*** line
> will be ignored; of course, just the opposite is true.

I agree, but we were unable to reach a consensus on what that
sentence should be.  Here is the relevant thread:
http://www.abridgegame.org/pipermail/darcs-devel/2005-June/002715.html

> And since this is the patch name, I found a confused user with patches
> without names.  Which he didn't notice before he pushed them.  Just a
> beginner's mistake, but it took me several minutes to spot the
> oversight.

Ah, yeah, we should definitely correct the text then.  I had found it
confusing, but I hadn't yet seen someone "screw up" because of it.

> Can we omit the word "above"?
>
> "Everything in this file below the line marked "++eod++" will be
> ignored"

As I recall, the objection to that sentence is that the eod line will
also be ignored, which that text doesn't state.  Although, perhaps
it's implied?

In either case, changing the marker to say "END OF DESCRIPTION"
should provide a hint that you don't want to put anything important
after the marker.  Or at least, that's my theory :)

Thanks,
Jason