[darcs-devel] darcs patch: add test case for replacing tokens with ... (and 3 more)

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Thu Jun 2 11:22:23 PDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 08:15:21AM -0400, David Roundy wrote:

> Indeed, we do need to get the format thing in... and this would be a
> reasonable first-use scenario.  I haven't carefully read your patches, but
> what I'd like to see eventually is that darcs replace will by default only
> create patches that can be read by older versions of darcs, and will exit
> with a polite message if the user tries to create a whitespace-containing
> replace that couldn't be read by older darcs.  But if the repository format
> allows new-style replace patches, then replace would create new-style
> replace patches and won't ever exit with an error about
> whitespace-containing replacements (unless, of course, someone tries a
> replace with an embedded newline, which is just wrong).

I had a slightly different vision of how patch formats would
work, but I think I can see how you think now.  Just one
question.  When (in a user context) are enhanced patch formats
to be enabled?  I presume 'darcs init' will enable them all,
while older repos should be be explicitly up-enabled.

> If you wanted to take over the repo format code, that would be wonderful.
> It's sort of my baby, but I really need to focus on the conflictor stuff.

I don't know how active I can be with this.  I can try to write
something that works with replace patches and is general so
other patch types can be added to it.  It's just that I have
hard to find the time right now.