[darcs-devel] Diff takes a lot of time?

Kannan Goundan cakoose at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 9 13:33:03 PDT 2005

--- Flavio Botelho <fezsentido at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello there, it's me again.  Looking around i have seen people
> complaining about how long diff takes. It seems that diff here
> means an entire repository diff.
>
> Bitkeeper has a similar tool which takes a long time too depending
> on how you set you repository.  Basically the ideal way to use bk
> (and not having to wait so much for the 'diff') was to only flag
> directories/files which you were going to edit. Meaning that there
> was a recursive flag that would point which points of the tree were

> editted. (bk tied that to the FS read-only status)

The "darcs diff" command was sped up a couple months ago, so some of
the complaints may be obsolete.  However, Darcs still doesn't perform
the optimization that you describe.

The "darcs whatsnew" command does perform some additional
optimizations (don't compare files if the size and timestamp are the
same).

- Kannan