[darcs-devel] Re: [junkio@cox.net: [OT] mutually supervised developers]

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Mon Jun 13 15:10:31 PDT 2005

On 2005-06-12, David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org> wrote:
> Hi darcs developers,
>
> Here's an interesting idea that came up on the git mailing list.  It'd be
> reasonably easy to implement with darcs.  I imagine we could just allow
> pull to accept multiple repositories and an --intersect flag (default would
> probably to pull from all patches from all repositories).
>
> What do you guys think? Anyone interested in working on this?
>
> In case I was too vague, I'm imagining something like
>
> darcs pull http://bar/darcs-juliusz http://baz/darcs-tomasz
>
> would grab all the patches from all Polish darcs contributors.  But
>
> darcs pull --intersect http://bar/darcs-juliusz http://baz/darcs-tomasz
>
> would pull only patches that are in both Juliusz and Tomasz' repositories.
> There'd need to be a bit of infrastructure involved, but not too much, and
> it seems like a natural (and useful) extension of the existing interface.

Sounds great to me-- a useful extension to decentralized development.

In your model, it appears that the two might repos might be "parallel"
in the development. I could see pulling the intersection of of another
developers tree, and the tree that is upstream to you both.

In other words, you are expressing that you think if Developer B thought
the patch was safe to pull from upstream, you think it's safe enough for
you, too. (Without trusting all patches in the repo of Developer B).

    Mark