[darcs-devel] Patch to change end of long description marker

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Thu Jun 30 09:24:37 PDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 08:26:59PM -0700, dagit at eecs.oregonstate.edu wrote:
> No one commented on this patch.

Not so. I was talking to you about it on IRC, both before and just after
you sent it.

You changed:

    Everything in this file from the above ***DARCS*** line on will be ignored.

to:

    Text after ***DARCS*** will be discarded.

(ignoring the DARCS -> END OF DESCRIPTION change that I agree with)

This is the sort of thing that irks me, because the ***DARCS*** will be
discarded too, but it is not after itself. To me, this just replaces
some adequate text (it's not /great/, but nothing significantly better
springs to mind) with some incorrect text. If it's just me then I will
relent, though  :-)

Has anyone got the CVS (or any other RCS) equivalent handy,
incidentally?

The other thing is allowing the ***DARCS*** to be in the middle of the
line. Why do we want to allow people to do that? If it made the code
simpler then I might concede, but it means you have to write a page
more! It also means you can't talk about the string in a darcs commit
message just by indenting it or wrapping it in quotes, which seems
silly.

> At the very least I would
> like to change the marker from ***DARCS*** to ***END OF DESCRIPTION***

Agreed.

Thanks
Ian