[darcs-devel] Encourging 'darcs check' before bug reports?

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Fri Mar 4 05:23:02 PST 2005

I like how darcs encourages bug reports when it realizes it has done
something that should be impossible.

However, aren't all bets off if darcs is being asked to operate on
invalid repo?

Therefore, what about updating this standard

"impossible happened -> report bug" disclaimer

to become

"impossible happened -> please visit the impossible page
 (URL is provided here).

This page would explain:
 1. Please run darcs check. Proceed with bug report if it passes.

 2. If you aren't running the latest version,
   check the changelog since your version to
   see it's been fixed.

 3. Look for related bug entries

 4. Submit bug

I think it's good to have a "low barrier" to receiving bug reports, but
I think the language now is not quite optimal-- A bug report for every
time user gets an "invalid pending" message is not ideal.

    Mark