[darcs-devel] Re: Optimizing "darcs diff" (Confirmed: 10x faster!)

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sat Mar 5 15:09:33 PST 2005

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 05:27:04PM +0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> On 2005-03-05, David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 08:36:49PM -0800, Kannan Goundan wrote:
> >> Here's my second attempt at pruning slurpy trees.  It uses the filter
> >> data type David came up with, which simplified the code a little.
>
> I just pulled this and built a darcs with it compiled in. In my first
> test, I found it was about 10x faster than 1.0.2 for this kind of diff:
>
>  darcs diff file.txt
>
> In practical terms, this mens the time dropped from about 5 seconds to
> .5 seconds, a very noticeable difference.

Excellent! In my test, it dropped from 0.78 seconds to 0.70 seconds or
something silly like that... which of course just means I was testing on
too small a repository.

> Now I think I'll have to update some documentation in a few places that
> referred to 'darcs diff' being slow. :)

Do keep in mind that it'll still be slow if you run it with no
arguments... we could work around that by internally running a whatsnew
before doing the actual diff, though...
http://www.darcs.net