[darcs-devel] Future of darcs-createrepo?

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Tue Mar 8 16:56:07 PST 2005

Hello,

I'm wondering if darcs-createrepo is a tool that people are using.

It's name and a short description are confusing because it is described
as a tool to create 'pushable repos', which is what darcs init and darcs
put do.

It appears what it really does is to run a thinly-veiled shell script
that is somewhat specific to Debian Linux, sendmail, and ssh.

(eg. The "--system" flag for 'adduser' doesn't seem to exist on FreeBSD
or Mandrakelinux currently. ".forward" files are not used by Qmail that
I'm aware of).

I'm not sure it makes sense to distribute something this specific with
darcs, especially with such a confusing name.

It makes more sense to me to rename this tool and distribute it
separately, as other darcs utilities are.

My sense  is that if the feature was used much at all, we would have
heard noise from Qmail users, FreeBSD or Windows users, or people who
want to use a different root dir than /var/www/repos, which is
hard-coded.

    Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/