[darcs-devel] Re: Untag?

Aaron Denney wnoise at ofb.net
Thu Mar 10 00:13:43 PST 2005

On 2005-03-10, Dave Roberts <ldave at droberts.com> wrote:
> Is there a nice easy way to move a tag along from version to version
> during development? For instance, typically when people think of tags,
> they envision a label like v1, v1.1, v2, etc. But what if you want a
> version labeled "stable" such that people can get that version. How
> would you add a "stable" tag, then then move that tag along every few
> weeks to a new version?

Stable isn't a _version_ though -- it's a line of development, a series
of patches.  Don't use a tag for it, use a seperate repository, i.e. the
same way we do branches.

For example, their is a "darcs-stable" repository that always contains
the latest stable version, and a "darcs" repository that always contains
the latest development version.  Patches can be pushed back and forth
between them -- i.e. when a feature in development is deemed stable
enough to deploy.

> Would I do this with unrecord to remove the tag patch?

No.  Never ever unrecord patches that have been distributed to
other repositories.

--
Aaron Denney
-><-