[darcs-devel] darcs patch: RT #255 Comprehensible shell test output (and 2 more)

schwern at pobox.com schwern at pobox.com
Fri Mar 11 19:38:08 PST 2005

Fri Mar 11 13:26:47 PST 2005  schwern at pobox.com
  * RT #255 Comprehensible shell test output

Fri Mar 11 19:11:20 PST 2005  schwern at pobox.com
  * Test::Darcs.  darcs() instead of `$DARCS ...`

  All the perl tests repeat this mantra to find darcs:

    use vars qw/$DARCS/;

    die 'darcs not found' unless $ENV{DARCS} || (-x "$ENV{PWD}/../darcs");
    $DARCS = $ENV{DARCS} || "$ENV{PWD}/../darcs";

  And then they call $DARCS directly via a shell command.  `$DARCS ...`
  Repeated code is bad and all that shell is likely to become a compatibility
  liability.

  This patch creats a library Test::Darcs and in it darcs() which replaces
  `$DARCS ...`.  I've converted add.pl to use it as a demonstration.

  One of the issues is now in order to run an individual Perl test file you
  must add -Ilib/perl so it can find Test::Darcs.  Alternatively one can
  add "use lib qw(lib/perl)" to all the Perl tests.  I don't know which is
  better for darcs developers.  The latter is redundant but potentially less
  confusing.

  More testing libraries for tests/lib/perl to follow.

Fri Mar 11 19:35:30 PST 2005  schwern at pobox.com
  * Shell::Command to replace shell calls in perl tests

  The perl tests make shell calls for trivial things which can be done
  just fine in Perl like touch, mkdir, rm -rf.  These are compatibility
  problems waiting to happen.

  There is an existing module which provides Perl functions similar to common
  shell commands, Shell::Command.  It is a wrapper around the core module
  ExtUtils::Command.  I've provided a copy here so darcs users do not have to
  download and install it to run the tests.

  This patch converts add.pl to use Shell::Command eliminating all `` calls
  in that test as a demonstration.