[darcs-devel] Re: [darcs-users] Re: Can I disable \xx quoting in record --interactive?

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Mon Mar 21 00:41:48 PST 2005

On Sunday 20 March 2005 21:35, Tommy Pettersson wrote:
> > You would probably need "show human readable without munging"
> > even in the apply case as an option (it should not be the
> > default in the apply case for safety).  Maybe the list of "what
> > do you want to do with this hunk" choice can include "view it
> > without hex munging"?
>
> This is a terrific work-around until we get proper i18n,
> I think.

OTOH; the control codes you worry about are all in the really low scales of
the ascii range (they typically begin with an escape, which is < '0').
Just like you would escape html with nothing but escaping the '<' and '>'
chars, you can limit this escaping to just everything lower then '0'.
More on a full solution below.

> I found a description of EUC-JP and it looks like all multi
> byte combinations use only bytes in the range 0x80-0xFF.  So it
> would be easy to make something similar to DARCS_USE_ISPRINT,
> maybe a DARCS_USE_8BIT.  But I also found some other encodings
> that use multibytes in the range 0x20-0xFF, and all control
> chars is below 0x20, so maybe we should just as well allow
> everything in that range.  I'll think some more about it.

We had a conversation on the user list about encodings some months ago, the
discussion was about XML, as a replacement of darcs internal patch
formatting. [1] The problem was similar to what we see in this thread; hex
codes instead of the correct glyphs.
I commented back then that we can fix this in an easy step by
a) assuming latin1 for all files (which is a 8 bit encoding)
b) allowing the user to set encoding for certain files.
c) using utf8 as the internal patch format (so the patches/* files would be
encoded that way.

The effect of setting an encoding would be that the EUC-JP file would be
converted to be shown as utf8 on the terminal, which would show nice chars
if the user installed his xterm correctly :)

IMO thats the real solution here and any intermidiate solution will probably
have to keep that in mind.

1)
http://www.abridgegame.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2004-December/004928.html
and various others in that thread...