[darcs-devel] [darcs #296] Fwd: get and put should be 'get-repo' and 'put-repo'

Mark Stosberg via RT bugs at darcs.net
Tue Mar 22 20:12:40 PST 2005

Tue Mar 22 23:12:37 2005: New ticket: 296.
Transaction: Ticket created by markjugg
       Queue: Darcs
     Subject: Fwd: get and put should be 'get-repo' and 'put-repo'
       Owner: Nobody
  Requestors: mark at summersault.com
 Ticket <URL: http://bugs.darcs.net/.//Ticket/Display.html?id=296 >

From: Mark Stosberg <mark-WmyhgDpj2fCHT8/ATrE1yw at public.gmane.org>
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.version-control.darcs.user
Subject: get and put should be 'get-repo' and 'put-repo'

All darcs subcommands are verbs. Mostly they operate on the same nouns,
patches, so it isn't a problem that we also don't include a noun in the
name to include whath the operate on. Some, like 'diff' operate on
patches and/or files, which would make it difficult to choose the best noun anyway.

Just a few operate primarily on repositories.  These are:

    get
    put
    initialize
    optimize
    check
    repair

Of these, 'get' and 'put' risk confusion, because they are similar to
the concepts of 'push' and 'pull'. Thus, I think they should be
clarified as:

 get-repo
 put-repo

Due to darcs abbreviation mechanism, they can still be used as 'get' and
'put', but I think the more specific names will help new users see an
immediate difference with 'push' and 'pull' in the help menus and
documentation.

    Mark