[darcs-devel] nfs mmap issues (possible fix/workaround)

David Brown darcs at davidb.org
Tue Mar 29 09:22:26 PST 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:16:12 -0500, David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org>
wrote:

> The problems were that at least on linux, you run into trouble if you
> open a file, delete that file, and then try to delete the directory
> containing that file (all before closing the file).  This was causing a
> few darcs commands (most reproducibly darcs check, but also other
> commands from time to time) to fail.  The problem is that nfs seems to
> leave a .nfsXXXXXXX file behind when you delete a file that is open.

I believe this is fairly common behavior for NFS, in fact, I believe it is
required to get the right semantics.  Posix-type behavior requires that a
file remain around, if the last link is removed, and there are still open
handles.  Since NFS is supposed to survive a server reboot (which would
free up these files), the file must remain present somewhere as long as it
is still opened by a client.

Dave