[darcs-devel] Re: darcs patch: alphabetize list of CVS switch commands (and 1 more)

Junio C Hamano junkio at cox.net
Tue Mar 29 13:35:15 PST 2005

JC> Old folks say that when making AIX, IBM people took all the Unix
JC> manual pages and alphabetised the flags...

JC> In other words, I disagree.

Depends on what this list of descriptions is for.  I'd agree if
the purpose of the list is to find darcs command from the task
in mind without knowing what that task is called at all.
Grouping together the subcommands by concepts (e.g. "I want to
check in my changes.  How would I do it under darcs?"),
regardless of the spelling of the subcommand to achieve that
task, makes far more sense than ordering the subcommands in
alphabetical order for that purpose.

However, as I understand it, the list is to help people coming
from CVS experience.  In that context, the way they name those
tasks are by the CVS subcommand name which they are familiar
with.  Ordering the CVS subcommands alphabetically makes perfect
sense for that usage (and Mark's changes order them by CVS
subcommands not darcs subcommands)---it is like looking up the
word in the dictionary.