[darcs-devel] Re: darcs patch: alphabetize list of CVS switch commands (and 1 more)

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Thu Mar 31 04:45:05 PST 2005

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 01:35:15PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> JC> Old folks say that when making AIX, IBM people took all the Unix
> JC> manual pages and alphabetised the flags...
>
> JC> In other words, I disagree.
>
> Depends on what this list of descriptions is for.  I'd agree if
> the purpose of the list is to find darcs command from the task
> in mind without knowing what that task is called at all.
> Grouping together the subcommands by concepts (e.g. "I want to
> check in my changes.  How would I do it under darcs?"),
> regardless of the spelling of the subcommand to achieve that
> task, makes far more sense than ordering the subcommands in
> alphabetical order for that purpose.
>
> However, as I understand it, the list is to help people coming
> from CVS experience.  In that context, the way they name those
> tasks are by the CVS subcommand name which they are familiar
> with.  Ordering the CVS subcommands alphabetically makes perfect
> sense for that usage (and Mark's changes order them by CVS
> subcommands not darcs subcommands)---it is like looking up the
> word in the dictionary.

I'd like to stay out of this, and so far haven't applied Mark's patch.
Juliusz's way of organizing things (most common commands first/commands
organized by what they do) makes sense to me, but it matters more what
would make sense to someone who's actually coming from CVS.  On the other
hand, it's not really worth spending much time debating...
http://www.darcs.net