[darcs-devel] Re: A darcs that can pull from git

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sun May 1 04:40:52 PDT 2005

On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 08:24:06PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> > Indeed, a retract sounds like a good goal.  This loss of patch ordering
> > would mean that the same darcs patch could show up as two distinct commits
> > in git, if I understand you right? But when it got back to darcs again, it
> > would be a single patch?
>
> No, it means that if you pull into darcs and push back into git, the
> ordering of the patches may have changed.  The two sequences will
> still be Darcs-equivalent, of course, up to commutation.
>
> The strong ordering properties of Git is what I'm losing by not
> ``tagging like crazy''.

Right, but this means that if you go from (assuming we start with git1
having two patches AB that aren't anywhere else)

git1(AB) -> darcs1(AB) -> (cherry picking B) darcs2(B')
         -> git2(B') -> git1(AB + B')

git1 will now have two commits (B and B') corresponding to the same patch.
This won't bother darcs when darcs pulls from git1, since darcs will see
that they're redundant, but it might bother the git-using developers.
http://www.darcs.net