[darcs-devel] SlurpyDirectory and file names

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sun May 8 07:08:39 PDT 2005

On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 06:09:51AM -0400, David Roundy wrote:

[filenames as PackedStrings]
> and it'd definitely make it easier to handle internationalized
> filenames,

Why is that?

> Getting rid of FilePaths entirely will be a chore.  You'd need to figure
> out how to handle reading directories in C and passing the results to
> haskell... the rest of the IO would be pretty easy, I think.  But still a
> lot of work, since there's so much of it.  If you wanted to volunteer on
> this, I'd be grateful, although you'd best first find out how Ian feels on
> the subject, since he's the one who'd actually be accepting or rejecting
> your patches.

If it makes a noticable performance difference (the obvious case where
this might happen is whatsnew on an unchanged large tree like the
kernel) then I'll accept it. If there's no difference then it wouldn't
make sense to carry around a duplication of all the IO primitives  :-)

Thanks
Ian