[darcs-devel] complicated merger example...more confusion

Tupshin Harper tupshin at tupshin.com
Mon May 9 00:56:22 PDT 2005

This patch in the darcs source:
20041001004444-75d02-27a88610389c8cdc546922ed00e37f1aed398745.gz
"Consolidate make_email and make MIME compliant"

has one of the more complicated set of merger patches I've seen in a
repository, and the existence and nature of the rmfiles in it are quite
confusing. This patch consists of  9 top-level subpatches, of which 3
affect the file ReportBug.lhs. These subpatches (4, 5, and 6) are
represented with their contents hierarchically below. The letters in
parentheses are merely for identification.

The patches labeled as b, k, and ab are all "rmfile ./ReportBug.lhs".

If somebody could walk me through how this set of patches is actually
applied and why 3 rmfiles of the same file are not a problem, it would
greatly help me bridge the gap between theory and practice.

Thanks

-Tupshin

subpatch 4
merger (a)