[darcs-devel] bug in resolve

Tupshin Harper tupshin at tupshin.com
Wed May 11 05:47:51 PDT 2005

I believe I've encountered two bugs, or possibly just one root cause.

I have repo "a" which has 3 patches, with a deliberate conflict.
patch 1 adds a file("a.txt") and two lines, patch two removes the file,
and patch 3 adds a line to the file.

The repo is left with current containing a.txt and the two lines added
in patch1, but the working dir doesn't have a, and whatsnew shows the
file being removed.

Problem 1 (hmm...after writing this, I notice that this is probably the
same as bug #170:
When the repository is in that state, darcs resolve says:
Fail: bug in darcs!
Problem resolving conflicts in resolve!
Please report this to bugs at darcs.net,
If possible include the output of 'darcs --exact-version'.

At the least, it seems that resolve is lying about trashing unrecorded
changes in the working directory.

Possible problem 2:
If  I do a get of repo a (to repo b), a.txt exists in both current and
working.

But if I do a mkdir c, cd c, darcs init, darcs pull -a ../a, I get a
conflict message and a.txt is in current but not working. (and c then
suffers from the same bug in resolve that a did).

Is there a theoretical or practical reason why pull -a and get should
leave the working in different states?

If anybody cares, a tarball of repo a is attached.

-Tupshin

darcs --exact-version is:

darcs compiled on Feb 12 2005, at 13:59:36
# configured Sat Feb 12 13:53:58 PST 2005
sh ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
--mandir=/usr/share/man

Context:

[ removed obsolete NEWS files
Isaac Jones <ijones at syntaxpolice.org>**20050212211000]

[syncinc with my debian repo after 1.0.0 bug
Isaac Jones <ijones at syntaxpolice.org>**20050212205746]

[TAG 1.0.2
David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org>**20050204123805]