[darcs-devel] nonmerging paralell changes and mergers

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Sun May 15 13:56:12 PDT 2005

I don't know if anyone else have noticed, but I know from bitter
experience that this is no good:

[bump version number to 1.0.3rc2
Tomasz Zielonka <tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com>**20050515085537] {
merger 0.0 (
hunk ./configure.ac 26
-DARCS_VERSION_STATE="release candidate 1"
+DARCS_VERSION_STATE="unstable"
hunk ./configure.ac 25
-DARCS_VERSION=1.0.3rc1
-DARCS_VERSION_STATE="release candidate 1"
+DARCS_VERSION=1.0.3rc2
+DARCS_VERSION_STATE="release candidate 2"
)
}

The next time we'll get:

[bump version number to 1.0.3rc3
Tommy Pettersson <ptp at lysator.liu.se>**20050515203038] {
merger 0.0 (
hunk ./configure.ac 25
-DARCS_VERSION=1.0.3rc1
-DARCS_VERSION_STATE="release candidate 1"
+DARCS_VERSION=1.0.3rc2
+DARCS_VERSION_STATE="unstable"
merger 0.0 (
merger 0.0 (
hunk ./configure.ac 25
-DARCS_VERSION=1.0.3rc1
-DARCS_VERSION_STATE="release candidate 1"
+DARCS_VERSION=1.0.3rc2
+DARCS_VERSION_STATE="release candidate 2"
hunk ./configure.ac 26
-DARCS_VERSION_STATE="release candidate 1"
+DARCS_VERSION_STATE="unstable"
)
hunk ./configure.ac 25
-DARCS_VERSION=1.0.3rc2
-DARCS_VERSION_STATE="release candidate 2"
+DARCS_VERSION=1.0.3rc3
+DARCS_VERSION_STATE="release candidate 3"
)
)
}

And before long comes the exponential spin hang.

I did exactly this in a repo of mine.  I had one (constant)
version string in the development branch and another (growing)
in the release branch.  I had to rebuild the release branch
after some turns.

Maybe the version state can be set in an environment variable in
the Makefile to the name of the root dir of the repo, or some
conditional expression thereof?