[darcs-devel] [darcs #396] 'darcs record' should respect registered files

Karel Gardas kgardas at objectsecurity.com
Thu May 19 03:56:28 PDT 2005

On Thu, 19 May 2005, Karel Gardas wrote:

> My proposal is:
> 1) add --look-for-removes option to record, which will disable file
>   existence checking logic
>
> 2) change help comment in remove command and omit sentence:
> "Otherwise just delete the file or directory, and darcs will notice that it
> has been removed."

Interesting is that darcs "looks for removes" automaticaly, i.e. darcs
whatsnew shows removes but it does not "looks for adds" automaticaly, so
you need to use --look-for-adds option.
If --look-for-removes should be added, then it needs to be added to
whatsnew and all affected commands too.

Hard to tell what's better from user point of view, if "unification" of
--look-for-adds and --look-for-removes or just hacking record to not
complain about already removed files even they are added on command-line.

Any user-view opinion? I as a darcs user prefer unification and
design/ideas simplification, but that's just one "vote".

Thanks,
Karel
Karel Gardas                  kgardas at objectsecurity.com