[darcs-devel] [darcs #396] 'darcs record' should respect registered files

Nigel Rowe rho at swiftdsl.com.au
Thu May 19 03:14:46 PDT 2005

On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:07, Karel Gardas wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2005, via RT wrote:
> > <snip> example <snip/>

> This is duplicate of PR#395.

Apologies, it is indeed a duplicate.

> Darcs provides "remove" command for removing
> files/directories from the repository w/o actually removing them. IMHO add
> and remove commands are semanticaly the same, i.e. file is created by some
> external command, file exists outside the repo and it is added to the repo
> by add command, file exists outside and inside the repo and it is removed
> from the repo by remove command and finally file is removed from the
> filesystem by some external command. Here automatic detection of file
> removal in record does not IMHO fit well into the scheme. Yes, darcs
> record might automatically looks for added file(s) w/o a need to invoke
> add command, but for this AFAIK you still need to use --look-for-adds
> parameter.
>
> My proposal is:
> 1) add --look-for-removes option to record, which will disable file
>     existence checking logic
>
> 2) change help comment in remove command and omit sentence:
> "Otherwise just delete the file or directory, and darcs will notice that it
> has been removed."
>
> The idea behind my proposal is to make add and remove plus record more
> "symetric".
>
> What do you think about it?

While I agree with the symmetry argument, whether a file was removed via
'darcs remove' or /bin/rm, it exists in pending, and record should respect
that.  (It already partially respects it, in that the command line completion
code presents any files in pending as a valid completion.)

> Thanks,
> Karel
> --
> Karel Gardas                  kgardas at objectsecurity.com