[darcs-devel] darcs patch: automatically generate version string fr... (and 2 more)

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Mon May 23 05:15:01 PDT 2005

Hello!

Here is a proof-of-concept patch that aims to reduce the hassle
associated with maintaining the darcs_version string by hand. In
current form it's not ready for inclusion in darcs-unstable (I don't
like everything and I'd like to split it to smaller patches).  I'll have
some time to work on this in the evening and I thought that if I sent it
here I can get some comments from you in the meantime.

CHANGES:
 - make_changelog now takes command name as a first parameter, commands
   are "changelog" and "version" (should change program name, see TODO)
 - make_changelog version generates the version string from repo
   history in the form: 1.0.3rc2        - for an exact release
                    or: 1.0.3rc2 (+ 13 patches)
 - removed darcs_version stuff from configure.ac, AutoConf.lhs.in
   and autoconf.mk
 - generate VERSION file
 - use VERSION in GNUmakefile where needed
 - generate Version.lhs from VERSION, in DARCS_FILES
 - module Version can't be imported in any of COMMON_FILES (chicken
   and egg problem), so I changed the interface of External.sendEmail
   and External.sendEmailDoc to explicitly take the version string
   as first parameter (see below for an improvement idea)

TODO:
 - find a better name for make_changelog, as now it's also used
   for generating the version string
 - fix make_changelog to work correctly for unordered tags (ie.
   in unstable, probably can wait for 1.0.3)
 - perhaps introduce a SendEmail.lhs module in DARCS_FILES exporting
   sendEmail and sendEmailDoc functions with an old interface
 - fix 'make dist'

Mon May 23 12:17:50 CEST 2005  Tomasz Zielonka <tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com>
  * automatically generate version string from repo history

Mon May 23 13:25:20 CEST 2005  Tomasz Zielonka <tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com>
  * resolve conflicts in GNUmakefile and configure.ac

Mon May 23 14:01:44 CEST 2005  Tomasz Zielonka <tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com>
  * add Version.lhs.in