[darcs-devel] [darcs #404] revert option while recording

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Sat May 28 07:03:20 PDT 2005

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 07:23:31PM -0400, Hande Ustunel via RT wrote:
> This is a suggestion for the wish list. I wanted to propose the addition
> of a revert option when recording a number of changes as a patch.
>
> While recording, as darcs goes through the changes one by one, it could
> provide a fourth, "mark for revert(maybe denoted by m?)" option alongside
> "y/n/w". This would enable the user to sort changes to be recorded and
> reverted within the same record session. After going through all the
> changes, the user could be prompted for each of the changes marked for
> revert and finalize the record session.

My main concern about this idea (which I think came up once before) is that
it might add too much complexity to the interface, leading people to make
mistakes.  If done right, though, it definitely would be convenient.

It's also a bit of a pain to implement, since we'd need to store four
states for each patch.  Perhaps we should introduce an N-state version of
PatchCoices, replacing our current three-state code? (This last being
directed at my fellow darcs developers, not the bug reporter.)
http://www.darcs.net