[darcs-devel] [darcs #538] boringfile should be ignored if _darcs/patches is empty

via RT bugs at darcs.net
Sat Oct 1 08:36:45 PDT 2005

Sat Oct 01 11:36:45 2005: New ticket: 538.
Transaction: Ticket created by guest
       Queue: Darcs
     Subject: boringfile should be ignored if _darcs/patches is empty
       Owner: Nobody
  Requestors: stephen at xemacs.org
 Ticket <URL: http://bugs.darcs.net/.//Ticket/Display.html?id=538 >

Now that I've got your attention ;-)

The default boringfile is simply too big and random when importing a
large project.  I lost XEmacs's Korean TUTORIAL.ko that way.  I don't
know what program produces .ko files, but XEmacs doesn't use it.  AFAIK,
there is no language whose ISO 639 abbreviation is py or hi, but XEmacs
doesn't use Python or Haskell.

In such a case, appearance of boring files is either an error the
developer should be warned about, or intentional.  Either way they
should show up in whatsnew --look-for-adds, etc.

On the other hand, cases like TUTORIAL.ko are very unusual.  Once it is
added, it doesn't matter if the boringfile contains .ko$.  So I think
it's OK to use a large boringfile once the initial import is done.

Two UI improvements:

(1) provide a record keystroke to prompt for an add to the internal (ie,
to the running instance of darcs) boring list.  This would reject the
record of the file, and also prompt "Please give a regexp to filter such
boring files: ".  Use this to filter further instances, and append it to
the boring file.

(2) as in (1), but first check the boring file for regexps that would
have matched and suggest them.

(1) would be useful even if the main suggestion (don't use boringfile
when _darcs/patches is empty) is not accepted.