[darcs-devel] back from ICFP (and roadmap)

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Oct 5 02:08:21 PDT 2005

    David> The first is actually more of a refactoring than a "new
    David> code" idea.  But it's a pretty serious refactoring.  The
    David> idea is to use GADTs[1] and phantom existential types (note
    David> that I'm not entirely clear on the terminology so I may say
    David> some of this stuff wrongly) as witnesses to the
    David> relationships between patches.

Type-checking is all very nice, but IMO it would be more useful to
users and novice Darcs hackers if --verbose actually told you what
darcs was doing in that dark closet for days at a stretch.  Is there
any possibility of getting some introspective code into the algorithms?

    David> GADTs should be pronounced to rhyme with "rabbits".

I'd pronounce that "gadz" as in "gadzooks!"

Are there any introductory references on these things?