[darcs-devel] attempt to unrecord patch in darcs table branch results in get_extra failure

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Thu Oct 13 11:55:07 PDT 2005

> I had a typo in my patch name, so I tried to unrecord it and got this
> message:
>
>     Fail: failed to read patch in get_extra:
>     Fri Feb  4 07:37:49 EST 2005  David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org>
>       * bump version number to 1.0.2 (at last!)
>     Perhaps this is a 'partial' repository?

> Perhaps it is a partial repository. Shouldn't darcs be able to know
> for sure if that was the case instead of guessing?

Partial and full repositories use the same format.  The only
difference is that some patches are missing in a partial repository.

So when Darcs fails to read a patch file which it expected to find,
there's no saying why -- it may be because the repository is partial,
or it could be because of some other problem.

(In other words: in order to create a partial repository by hand, just
make a checkpoint and delete random files under _darcs/patches; but
don't try that at home, kids!)

> Even so, it's not clear why a partial repo would prevent me from
> unrecording a simple patch.

It looks like either your repository is corrupt, or a bug in Darcs.
What does check say?

                                        Juliusz