[darcs-devel] [darcs #551] Misleading summary ordering

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sun Oct 16 06:05:32 PDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 05:28:43AM -0400,  via RT wrote:
> This is (maybe) a minor UI interface issue.
>
> The example below shows a case in which the summary order is a bit
> misleading: obviously, the remove of vcpx/bzr.py happened *before* the
> rename of bzrng.py, otherwise we would really be trashing both of them :)
>
> So, maybe Darcs could check and when the case is "replacement" (instead
> of say "removing some files from a renamed directory", emit the move
> after the deletion.

I'm afraid the code generating the summaries is a nasty mess.  Someone
needs to take a look at it and figure out how to do it right.  This bug is
a good example of why the current scheme doesn't work.  I think we should
have something that is more "darcs-patch-theory-like", which could work out
the orderings of changes in a sane manner (i.e. preserving dependencies).
http://www.darcs.net