[darcs-devel] [darcs #496] use putty on w32

zooko at zooko.com zooko at zooko.com
Sun Sep 4 15:00:47 PDT 2005

The whole issue is hopefully moot if my new "include scp in zip file" packaging
works out.  (So far, I haven't had any reports of success or failure from any
users.)  However...

> I asked if darcs works with mingw scp (or perhaps I
> should say MSYS scp).

Does such a thing exist?  I've used unix tools on Windows on and off for about
ten years now, and I don't recall such a version of ssh.  A little googling for
combinations of "msys" or "mingw" and "scp" or "ssh" gives no direct hits, and
there is no mention of such a package on the msys pages that I could find, but
after some more clicking around google hits I finally found a line in the GHC
build docs that mentions that the MSYS developer kit includes ssh.

So I believe that it does exist, but it seems to be extremely rare.  Possibly
it is used only by people who compile things with MSYS?  (Who, as I understand,
are becoming increasingly rare themselves now that cygwin has an -mnocygwin
compile option.)

If it matters (which it hopefully doesn't), darcs should probably expect that
almost all darcs users on Windows who use ssh are already using either putty
ssh or cygwin ssh.

Regards,

Zooko