[darcs-devel] [darcs #497] w32: use cygwin ssh?

zooko at zooko.com zooko at zooko.com
Wed Sep 7 07:20:58 PDT 2005

 David Roundy wrote:

> No, darcs always uses the standard scp command-line interface.  I'm not
> really the one to ask, but I seem to recall being told that the problem has
> to do with cygwin apps (e.g. cygwin scp) not accepting windows paths, which
> darcs passes to scp.

I just tested one simple usage of scp, and it appears that both cygwin scp and
putty pscp require unix-style path separators:

C:\Documents and Settings\zooko\Desktop>c:\cygwin\bin\scp.exe zooko at 192.168.1.11
4:Desktop/ghc-6.4-src.tar.bz2 .
ghc-6.4-src.tar.bz2                           100% 6738KB 187.2KB/s   00:36

C:\Documents and Settings\zooko\Desktop>.\pscp.exe zooko at 192.168.1.114:Desktop/g
hc-6.4-src.tar.bz2 .
ghc-6.4-src.tar.bz2       |       6737 kB |  76.6 kB/s | ETA: 00:00:00 | 100%

I couldn't get either program to work with backslashes in the path instead of
forward-slashes.  By the way, pscp.exe took three times as long to transfer the
same file -- 90 seconds compared to 30 seconds.  This effect was the same in
four consecutive runs.

> You could also try setting DARCS_SCP to be a shell script that dumps its
> command-line arguments to a file to see just what darcs is doing.  I
> couldn't say for certain whether darcs passes absolute paths or relative
> paths to scp.  cygwin ssh would choke on absolute paths, but might work
> with relative paths, so I speculate that we may be able to fix the problem
> by restricting ourselves to passing relative paths to scp/sftp.  (This will
> probably only get resolved if a windows darcs developer steps up to work on
> this, I'm just suggesting directions one might approach.)

I'll try this at some point.  It can't be a shell script because shell scripts
aren't executable on Windows, but I can write a little C program to do it.

Regards,

Zooko