[darcs-devel] Re: test results for 1.04pre4 on FreeBSD 4.10

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sun Sep 18 04:11:26 PDT 2005

On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 10:30:26AM +0200, Tommy Pettersson wrote:
> which is the desired result.  I guess you would get "À is
> printable" even with LC_LANG=C.  In that case the GHC library
> has probably changed its meaning about what isPrint means in
> a way that doesn't agree with libc.  (Or you are using UTF-8
> and a GHC that has begun to understand UTF-8.)

I think this may be the problem.  In haskell a "Char" is already a unicode
character, but the translation to unicode is independent from the locale
(especially in darcs, since in most places we need to avoid
locale-dependent behavior).  On the other hand, I don't really know how to
handle locale's in C either...

Perhaps you could experiment with using the FFI to call isprint?

foreign import ccall unsafe "static ctype.h isprint" isprint :: CInt -> CInt

I suspect, though, that the isprint interface can't really work with
UTF-8...
http://www.darcs.net