[darcs-devel] darcs patch: add version to patch type replace

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Mon Sep 19 10:39:38 PDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 08:44:07AM -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 08:41:29PM +0200, ptp at lysator.liu.se wrote:
> > The showPatch function must decide if to write the patch in the
> > new format, but is in no position to interrogate the repo about
> > what patch versions it likes and refutes. So this information
> > must be contained in the very patch data; I can't find no other
> > way. The primitive patch internals are confined to the PatchFoo
> > modules (and the unit testing), so it is manageable.
>
> I don't think this is the right approach.  I think we really *do* want to
> figure out how to pass the configuration to showPatch.

Gah, I was hoping you would not say that.

>                                                         This will take some
> thinking

Yes, I know... :-)

I *did* think about it, but I got stuck when I didn't know how
to change the type of showPatch and still make it an instance of
the Show class. And it didn't feel right.

> [...lots of good points...]

Well, I have a strong motivator in getting spaceprelace in
place, so I will surely be code on this in one way or another.
I'll continue by doing some thinking tomorrow.