[darcs-devel] darcs revert remove not controlled files.

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.hn.org
Sun Sep 25 23:16:54 PDT 2005

Hi! I'm using darcs and I found a nasty behavoir.

I queued a file for add and didn't recorded since I wanted to add a few
more things. Then before record it I wanted to rename the file, so I did a
revert, expecting that darcs just removes the file from the 'add queue',
not the filesystem!

I know it warns about the non-unrevertable nature of the operation, but I
never expected darcs (a program I use in some ways to protect my work) to
remove my files when they are not in revision control.

I think 'darcs revert' on 'darcs add'ed shouldn't remove the file from the
filesystem, just remove them from the 'add queue' so they're not added to
revision control on the next record. Or at least make the operation
unrevertable (I guess is not hard at all to do it).

I lost a lot of work because of this (it was just one file but a big one)
and I don't like it to happend to other people (since svn revert behavoir
is not to remove the file from filesystem, and is _the_ way to 'cancel' a
file addition, I guess a lot of people comming from it could have this
problem too), that's why I'm suggesting this change. And because I think
darcs is really great and this could make it better. I think that protect
user data in all possible ways has to be a key feature on darcs.

Thanks.

PS: Please Cc me, I'm not in the list.

--
 LUCA - Leandro Lucarella - JID: luca(en)lugmen.org.ar - Debian GNU/Linux