[darcs-devel] darcs patch: Exec improvements : Windows redirection, ... (and 1 more)

Eric Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 05:22:02 PDT 2006

This bundle is aimed at addressing issue219 (Windows: harmless ssh
failures leaking to user)

issue219 is a very frequently reported one and consists of users
asking why they get complaints about plink.

Notes
-----
1. This is just a resend.  The patches are identical, but the bundle
   does not include any dependencies.

2. This patch makes me nervous, because I'm mucking around in the Exec
   code, specifically in Windows stuff which I do not personally use.
   I would like some comments from fellow developers.

   Also, can a Windows user please perform the following tests?

   - Does this remove the harmless plink error messages when you
     connect to an ssh path?
   - Do you still get a password prompt from Putty SSH when needed?
     There is a risk of this patch making things *too* quiet.

3. On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 19:46:15 +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> Eric, I cannot apply this until we decide about the previous patch.

   Now that we have agreed to reject the new (fragile) SSH control
   master checking, we should perhaps revisit these patches here.

   From a darcs point of view, they can be applied independently of the
   SSH control master stuff.  The only dependency was to a patch you
   had already accepted (the ssh refactor).

   Is there a semantic issue you had in mind?  I tried thinking about
   the consequences of applying this without the control master stuff,
   and it seems like it would be fine.  What do you think?

4. The first part of this patch would be made obsolete by a
   switch to System.Process.  Somebody please make this patch
   obsolete!

The patches
-----------
Fri Jul  7 07:41:34 CEST 2006  Eric Kow <eric.kow at gmail.com>
  * Exec improvements : Windows redirection, and more redirection control.

  - Implement ability to redirect to /dev/null under Windows
    (eivuokko on #darcs points out that it is NUL under Windows)

  - Add exec_ function, which does the same thing as exec,
    but allows redirection on stderr, and also allows us
    to NOT redirect stdin/stderr

Fri Jul  7 07:46:11 CEST 2006  Eric Kow <eric.kow at gmail.com>
  * Do not redirect to /dev/null when calling ssh.

  Redirection of stdin and stdout breaks putty, which uses these to
  interact with the user.  Quiet mode and redirecting stderr are good
  enough for making ssh silent.