[darcs-devel] [issue232] can_I_remove_directories_holding_open_files does not clean up after self

Adam Megacz bugs at darcs.net
Sat Aug 5 18:37:35 PDT 2006

New submission from Adam Megacz <megacz at gmail.com>:

(assigning to droundy hoping he will reassign to the right person, since I
 don't know who that would be... this isn't important enough for him to fix
 personally)

In CheckFileSystem.lhs, the function can_I_remove_directories_holding_open_files
opens a file, removes it, then attempts to remove the directory in which that
file resides.

This will fail on AFS (AFS semantics: when an open file is removed, its inode is
reattached to the directory as .__afsXXXX until the file is closed ==> hence the
directory is no longer empty and cannot be removed).  That's no big deal; it
just means darcs can't use mmap.  But the check function should close the open
file and then [try to] remove the directory again in order to not leave behind
droppings.

This manifests itself when you "darcs get" to a destination in /afs/.  Otherwise
everything works wonderfully.

Thanks!

  - a

assignedto: droundy
messages: 857
nosy: droundy, megacz, tommy
priority: bug
status: unread
title: can_I_remove_directories_holding_open_files does not clean up after self