[darcs-devel] darcs patch: Exec improvements : Windows redirection, ... (and 1 more)

Eric Y. Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 22:32:10 PDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 14:22:02 +0200, Eric Kow wrote:
> Fri Jul  7 07:41:34 CEST 2006  Eric Kow <eric.kow at gmail.com>
>   * Exec improvements : Windows redirection, and more redirection control.
>
>   - Implement ability to redirect to /dev/null under Windows
>     (eivuokko on #darcs points out that it is NUL under Windows)

While rooting around my mail directory, I found that Will Glozer
has already submitted a patch which does this (Dec 2005).
See <20051215053903.13CA11064FA at will>

Our patches both have this problem of using "2>&1" for stderr
redirection, which isn't supported under Windows 98.  It seems we did
not apply Will's patch because we were waiting for some consensus
whether we cared about breaking Windows 98 or not.  For what it's
worth, I do not, because by now, I'll bet everyone who'd want to use
darcs is using XP by now.  Then again, I don't have any way of knowing.
Perhaps a good way would be to find out how percentage of GHC users are
on Windows 98.

Anyway, either we settle this Win98 question, or I resubmit the patch so
that stderr by default does not get redirected (which seems more
sensible than sending it to stdout), or we keep waiting :-)

--
Eric Kow                     http://www.loria.fr/~kow
PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9         Merci de corriger mon français.