[darcs-devel] Re: darcs patch: overhaul the darcs.net front page.

Eric Y. Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 21:38:10 PDT 2006

[good points about flexible/simple/spontaneous snipped]

> marketing. Sometimes I see the word "Intelligent" to describe software,
> but I prefer the more casual "Smart".

I'm just afraid of that word backfiring on us when somebody runs into
the dreaded nested conflicts or doppelganger problems, or when darcs
does something... spontaneous.  Oh well, there probably isn't an ideal
word, and smart seems as good as any.  At least we're not saying
"Perfect"

> I didn't see the old "Hi..." phrasing as pretentious, I found it more
> personal and friendly.

Right.  It was very hard arguing this with my friends.  I also agree
that nothing we say is going to be airtight.  In any case, I am glad
that we're taking out the references to quantum mechanics.

> I was surprised about some of the pro-subversion things I found on the
> wiki over the weekend on the darcs-vs-subversion page. (I've changed
> them now.) It wasn't that they were malicious or false, it was just that
> the same thing could be expressed as a positive for darcs instead of a
> positive for subversion.

Incidentally, I thought I should point out that despite the screenshots,
darcs doesn't really have a working gui.  Our gui is good enough to make
screenshots, but not enough that I would recommend it to users.  There
are some third party guis in the works though, but they don't seem too
ready.  Then again,  I suppose you could count TortoiseDarcs...

> What I felt was missing from the front page was really getting a sense
> of darcs at a glance.  I thought "Distributed. Interactive. Smart."
> helped with that.

Yep.  I'd call the new page an improvement!

Some minor remarks (I can submit these as a patch):
- you've got a 'one one' in there
- it probably wouldn't hurt to put a (GPL, Haskell) near the download
  links
- though the wiki should be emphasised, it's probably still good to
  put a link to the manual (?)

--
Eric Kow                     http://www.loria.fr/~kow
PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9         Merci de corriger mon français.