[darcs-devel] [issue254] presence of a .git directory caused darcs to silently and confusingly fail

Zooko bugs at darcs.net
Wed Aug 30 20:50:02 PDT 2006

New submission from Zooko <zooko at zooko.com>:

I am working with a linux source tree pulled through git.  I couldn't figure
out the user interface of git to simply add and record one file, so I gave up
and decided to use darcs instead:

KERN yumyum:/usr/src/linux$ darcs init
KERN yumyum:/usr/src/linux$ darcs add .config
darcs: takeLock //_darcs/lock in /: atomic_create //_darcs/lock in /: permission denied (Permission denied)

What the heck?  (There is a /_darcs, but it is not writable by me.)

After some sleuthing I've learned that if I mv .git .git-aside, then darcs
works as normal.  I just have to remember to mv it back when I want to use git.

Regards,

Zooko

nosy: droundy, tommy, zooko
status: unread
title: presence of a .git directory caused darcs to silently and confusingly fail